Friday, June 7, 2013

Day 20...


This week hasn't flown by like the last one, but the weather here has been beautiful...I even said it was pretty hot one day, so you know all the people who are Northern Irish were rocking shorts and beachwear while I was still in jeans and had a cardigan on. But it really is lovely, which makes the square fill with people for lunch and to hang around outside. It stays buzzing with noise and activity that way, which means that the social economy pieces of the centre do pretty well. I've taken a liking to doing lunch in re:fresh cafe along with the masses as well.

Other than the beautiful weather, I've been working to get everything up and ready for my project that will (hopefully) consume the rest of my time here. I say hopefully only because we're asking for 100% participation from a congregation...so we'll see what happens. I've gotten the materials all made up and worked out for this congregational survey focusing on the areas of spiritual life, worship, fellowship, energy and ownership in a time of transition. I'm looking forward to launching it next week if the church council is all on board. Along with this work, I've also had the regular scheduled programming of kidsGAP with some super cute beebies, Friendship Circle with some super cute pensioners, and a Drop-In field trip to an aquatic complex with the teens. It was a really cool little place with slides and a wave pool, and it was a place where they could just go and be kids. It was nice to see.

Some of these girls were the same ones I taught dance last week...and yes, a few of them embraced it and have been showing me some of their practiced moves. They're looking forward to finishing a whole song, and they even wanted to show off their skills to some of the other leaders when we were done. Of course far more of the group absolutely loved Zumba and the dance that was made up to "Grease Lightning"...it got far more attention than contemporary dance...but that's all cool, because it's great when they get invested in something and you can really tell that they enjoy it and want to put their energy into it...again, it was nice to see too. 

It's been a fun week getting to know my roommates better as well, lounging about and going out with them to have some fun. Although it's sad that Andy, Ryan, and Maria have moved out of the apartment, we did gain two more American interns as of Wednesday (because the Americans are taking over...of course) and so we're back at full capacity, and all ladies. It should prove a fun group to go through the rest of the summer with. 

Belfast is an interesting place, with Honey Chili Chicken and Fish n' Chips (with really good garlic sauce at Bethany), and fantastic sweets, and cake in custard, and Fanta made with real fruit, and black currant flavored everything (not my favorite flavor in the world but it's ok). It's got fake store fronts for the Queen, contrasted with Victoria Square Mall that holds the Hollister (where the workers speak with American accents). I've met lots of wonderful people here, and I've seen every type of Converse All-Stars ever made (I want them all...), and I've gone to Irish language classes (and boy does it not look like it sounds, and half of it sounds crazy anyways...but you pick it up). Apparently this is where tea complements everything, and Indian spices can be used on anything. 

Well I guess my strange insights made it into non-list form this time...and yes...the stairwell still smells like sunscreen. I can't figure it out. 

Until next time...
Carrie

No comments:

Post a Comment